Sunday, January 24, 2010

Why are communication skills important to me?

When my studies progressed to university level, I felt that everthing changed. To be honest, before I entered university, in school I simply followed whatever the teacher instructed, and only aimed to get higher scores on tests even though I had no idea where I could apply my newly gained knowledge.
In university, as I started to learn architecture, I realized that studying was not only about gaining knowledge from the tutor; the process of interaction was equally important. When I asked him more questions, I could understand better and get even more information. Besides, I had to describe my design accurately in order to obtain more useful feedback from my tutor. Eventually I learnt that throwing the question 'Why?' was so much more important than just listening and memorizing.
Now here is the question, why are communication skills important to me?
Interestingly, this question also starts with 'why'. The reason why it is important is that through good communication, we can share more information and also our feelings as well. I have come to realize that I am not adept at conveying my thoughts to others and need more practice, especially in English. I am not a talkative person, and when I am required to convers in English, I tend to speak even less. Therefore I hope to work on my communication skills.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Sanghyun
    Since English is also not my mother tongue, I think I can share the same feeling with you.
    I have some advice for you. The most important thing about learning language is making mistakes and through those mistakes you can learn a lesson so that you will not make such a kind of mistake again. Personally, I am not afraid of making mistakes when speaking English. After all, English is not my mother tongue, I have the right to make mistakes! Moreover, I regard speaking English as a means of applying what I have learnt. For example, if I learn a new English word today,I will try my best to find suitable situations to use it. Through such a kind of repetition, the use of the word will be familiar to me and thus I really master the word! So just try your best!
    A ZA Fighting! (Do you say this a lot in Korean? )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sanghyun,

    After reading your post,I realize that I have made a big mistake in my years of study. That is I do not interact with my tutor or teacher. Thus your post made me know that it is important to do so. So I have to thank you. Haha

    Besides that, we some common problems that is we lack of confidence when we have to speak in English.I hope that we can work together to improve our English. May we can speak in English confidently by the end of this modules.Haha

    Xian Rui

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sanghyun,

    I feel that by coming here to study, you have already taken a big step in improving your English and communication skills. After all, the language of instruction here is one which you are not familiar with, and to be able to do so requires courage and determination on your part. I cannot see myself doing that actually! So go ahead and speak more often to us. As Jerone said, making mistakes is probably the most effective way for us to improve.

    I feel that the education here in Singapore is quite similar to what you have experienced before. The teachers tend to stress excessively on grades, and education was very much focused on the paper chase, in which we try to get the best results possible and do many past year papers in the process. Much of the fun and interaction that is important for good education was lost. However, I believe that many changes are taking place now in Singapore's education system that try to address this issue. Hopefully they are effective.

    Ronnie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Sanghyun, for this reflective and well-focused post. I like the way you describe your evolving view of the importance of comm skills. I also admire your ability to communicate so well in English, even though you may feel that you still have deficiencies.

    As Xian Rui mentions, this module should offer you a chance to refine your skills and gain a new level of confidence. That's our goal.

    Your post is generally fluent. I can only see a few minor spelling and other errors.

    1) theacher >>> teacher

    2) olny >>> only

    3) that throwing the question 'Why?' was so much important... >>> that throwing the question 'Why?' was so much MORE important...

    4) talktive >>> talkative

    5) and olny aimed to get higher scores in tests. Even I had no idea >>> and only aimed to get higher scores on tests even though I had no idea...

    I look forward to reading more posts from you!

    p.. Can you put your blog language into English?

    ReplyDelete